Salt Cod Pie
HT MC Portuguese 60mins plus soaking
Portuguese Name: Bacalhau Fornado
Serves 4 Hot Fish Main Course
Eggless Portugal Europe
300g/11oz Salted Cod (Saltfish), pre-soaked
2 Bay Leaves
1 tbsp Olive Oil
1 Onion, chopped
1 Garlic Clove, crushed
1 Capsicum (Sweet Pepper), thinly sliced
2 large Tomatoes, chopped
1 heaped tbsp Freshly chopped Parsley
1 tbsp Plain Flour
450g/1lb Mashed Potato
1. Place the saltfish in a saucepan together with the milk and bay leaves, bring
to simmering point then cook gently for about 15 minutes.
2. Preheat the oven to 200C, 400F, gas Mark 6. Heat the oil in a frying pan, add
the onion, garlic and pepper and sauté for 5 minutes, stirring from time to
time, until softened.
3. Add the tomatoes and continue to sauté, stirring occasionally, for a further
5 minutes. Set aside.
4. Once cooked, remove the fish from the milk with a slotted spoon (reserving
the milk), remove any bones and skin and flake into bite-sized pieces. Set
5. In a clean saucepan, melt the butter and then stir in flour and cook , over a
medium heat, stirring, for 1 minute.
6. Reduce the heat to low then add the reserved milk a little at a time,
stirring well between each addition. Bring to boil, stirring constantly then
remove from the heat and stir in the fresh parsley and the fish.
7. Spread the onion mixture in the bottom of an oven proof casserole dish, pour
in the fish mixture then spread the mashed potato evenly over the top.
8. Cook in the oven for 20 minutes until browned on top. Serve immediately.
More Seafood & Fish Recipes |
Fish Prep & Cooking Times |