Seafood Gumbo HT
Shellfish Grains Vegetables Main Course Dairy Free Louisiana Nth
American North America
60ml/2fl.oz. Vegetable Oil
1 Large Onion, chopped
1 Green Capsicum (Sweet Pepper) chopped
2 Sticks of Celery, chopped
3 Garlic Cloves, crushed
2 Large Tomatoes, chopped
120ml/4fl.oz. Tomato Purée
450g/1lb Fresh Okra, chopped
2.2L/4pts Good Fish or Seafood Stock
2 teasp Creole
1 Bay Leaf
Salt and Black Pepper
450g/1lb Peeled Shrimp or Prawns
12 Fresh Oysters, removed from shells and
350g/12oz Fresh Crabmeat
225g/8oz Long Grain Rice
1. Heat the oil in a large heavy
flameproof-casserole or saucepan, add the flour and cook for 3-4 minutes over a
medium heat, stirring constantly until thickened
and lightly browned.
Add the onions, capsicum, celery and garlic and sauté until the onions are soft
and translucent and the vegetables are tender.
Add the tomatoes and tomato purée, and cook over medium heat for 10 minutes
then add the seasonings, and about 1/2 teaspoon each of salt and pepper. Continue
to cook for a further 10 minutes.
Add the okra, and continue to cook for a further 10 minutes, then gradually add the
stock, stirring constantly. Bring to the boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 20
5. Meanwhile, place the rice in a large saucepan with plenty of cold water. Bring to the boil, reduce the heat and simmer for 15 minutes or until just tender. Drain well.
6. After the 20 minute cooking time add the shrimps or prawns to the vegetable mixture and cook for a further 5 minutes.
Then add the oysters and oyster liquor and cook for a further 5 minutes.
7. Finally, add the crab and mix well until the crabmeat is heated through.
8. To Serve - divide the rice between 4 warmed serving bowls then ladle the gumbo over and around it. Serve immediately.
More Crab Recipes |
Seafood & Fish Recipes | More