HT HD Greek 115mins
Serves 6 Hot Seafood
Grains Alcohol Hors d'oeuvre Starter Appetiser Gluten Wheat free Eggless
Greece Europe Mediterranean
675g/1˝lb Small Squid
120ml/4fl.oz. Olive Oil
1 Onion, finely chopped
75g/3oz Short-grain Rice
120ml/4fl.oz Tomato puree
A 5cm/2-inch piece Cinnamon Stick
2 Whole Cloves
Salt and Black Pepper
120ml/4fl.oz Dry white wine
1. Prepare the squid by gripping the body with one hand and the head and
tentacles with the other. Pull apart firmly. Cut the tentacles away from the
head, wash and finely chop 4 of them, reserving the remainder for another
recipe. Discard the head, entrails and ink sac. Wash the bodies thoroughly, both
inside and out, in cold running water, dry on kitchen paper and set aside.
2. Heat 1 tablespoon of the oil in a frying pan add the onion and gently fry
until soft and transparent.
3. Add the rice and stir over a medium heat for 2 minutes then add the tomato
puree, water, cinnamon stick, cloves, chopped squid tentacles, salt and pepper.
Mix well then reduce the heat, cover and simmer for 10 minutes or until the
liquid has been absorbed. Remove the cinnamon stick and cloves.
4. Fill the squid bodies (tubes) with the rice mixture, packing it in loosely
as the rice will expand during cooking. Close up the openings with a wooden
cocktail stick or sew with a needle and thread.
5. Heat the remaining oil in a deep pan add the stuffed squid tubes and fry
until lightly browned on all sides, turning often.
6. Reduce the heat, add the wine, cover and simmer gently for 1 hour or until
squid is tender, adding a little water to pan if necessary. Serve hot.
More Starter Recipes |
Fish Prep & Cooking Times |