with Beetroot CD
HD German 45mins plus chilling
4 Cold Fish Vegetables
Herbs Hors d'oeuvre Starter Appetizer Germany Europe
1 large Potato,
peeled and quartered
2 large Carrots
3 large Herring Fillets
1 tbsp Freshly chopped Dill
1 Small Onion,
2 large hard
boiled Eggs, finely chopped
8 Cooked Beetroot
4 tbsp Mayonnaise-type Salad Dressing
Dill To Garnish
1. Place the potatoes in a large saucepan, cover with water, bring to the boil
then cook for 15-20 minutes until just tender.
2. Meanwhile, cook
carrots in salted water for 15 minutes until just tender.
3. Drain the cooked potatoes and carrots and allow to cool.
4. Grate or finely
chop the cooled potato, place in a layer on serving platter and press down
5. Chop the
herring fillets and place in a layer on top of the potatoes but slightly smaller
to start building mountain
6. Sprinkle with
the chopped dill.
7. Continue building the mountain with a layer of onion, then eggs then grated
carrots, in that order, pressing each layer down gently.
8. Finally, grate
the beetroots and use to cover the whole mountain to form a red coat.
9. Spoon the mayonnaise dressing over top, cover loosely and refrigerate
for 4-8 hours. The mayonnaise will go pink.
10. To serve - Season with black pepper, garnish with dill and lemon wedges and
serve with brown bread.
More Starter Recipes | Summer Recipes