Heston’s Häagen-Dazs Double Chocolate &
Banana Baked Alaska
Step 1 - Cake Base
This is an Audio Page - turn up your speakers/headphones
Graphic © Recipes4us.co.uk
Go to Step 2
Back to Main Page
Preparation time: 30-40 minutes
60g unsalted butter
30g vegetable shortening (such as TREX)
45g vegetable oil
3 eggs, separated
170g cake flour (or plain flour)
2 x 100g caster sugar
5g baking powder (½ teaspoon)
100g whole milk
1. Preheat oven to 180°C.
2. Brown the butter in a pan until a nutty aroma develops. Remove from heat and
strain to remove the solids, leave to cool.
3. Combine the vegetable shortening, browned butter, and oil in a pan. Warm
until just melted.
4. In an electric mixer whisk the egg yolks on medium speed and gradually add
the warm fats and oil until a mayonnaise-like emulsion forms. Refrigerate this
until very cold before proceeding.
5. Meanwhile, sift the flour, 100g of the sugar, salt and baking powder.
6. Swap the whisk for the paddle attachment and add the sifted dry ingredients
to the cold egg yolk mixture. Beat slowly on low speed for 15 seconds, or until
the dry ingredients are incorporated.
7. Add the milk and mix on slow speed for an additional 30 seconds or until the
ingredients are fully incorporated.
8. Scrape the batter out of the bowl and set this aside. Clean the bowl very
well to remove any traces of fat. Rinse and dry thoroughly.
9. Add the egg whites to the mixing bowl and whisk on high speed for one minute.
Add the other half of the sugar and continue to whisk for a further minute or
until stiff peaks are formed.
10. Using a large spatula, gently fold 1/3 of the reserved batter into the egg
whites. When incorporated, gently fold in the rest of the batter until there are
no streaks of egg whites. Do not over mix or the cake will not be soft and
11. Pour 400g of this batter evenly into a buttered and floured 19cm x 9cm x 6 ½
cm cake tin.
12. Bake in the preheated oven for approximately 20 to 25 minutes.
13. Remove the cake from the oven and bang it down on to the countertop before
turning the cake onto a rack to cool.
Tip: If using right away, leave the cake at room temperature. If not, wrap the
cake in several layers of cling film and freeze until required.
Important notice - The recipe, graphics (unless otherwise stated) and audio files are the sole
property and copyright © Häagen-Dazs. Recipes4us accepts no liability for the
content and would advise you to read the safety instructions relating to using
blow torches or dry ice as provided by Häagen-Dazs which you can access by
HERE Links to this document are also included at the
relevant stages of the recipe.
Baked Alaska Step 1
Baked Alaska Step 2
Baked Alaska Step 3
Baked Alaska Step 4
Baked Alaska Step 5
Baked Alaska Step 6
Baked Alaska Step 7