Heston’s Häagen-Dazs Double Chocolate &
Banana Baked Alaska
Step 3 - Banana Mousse
This is an Audio Page - turn up your speakers/headphones
Go to Step 4 |
Back to Step 2 |
Back to Main Page
Preparation time: 30 minutes
60g skinless hazelnuts
180g caster sugar
250g very ripe banana
15g unrefined caster sugar
185ml double cream
3 egg whites
1. Heat a pan,
that is large enough to hold all of the hazelnuts in a single layer, over medium
heat. Add the hazelnuts to the pan and roast until very fragrant and evenly
2. Add 60g of the caster sugar to the hot pan and toss the hazelnuts until
coated with the melted sugar. Tip the caramelized nuts out onto greaseproof
paper and cool. Once cooled, smash or grind them into a very coarse powder.
3. Slice the bananas into 1 cm thick slices.
4. Heat the butter in a pan until slightly brown and nutty. Add the unrefined
caster sugar and stir with a spatula until a caramel forms.
5. Add the sliced bananas and sauté in the caramel.
When the bananas are coated in caramel and golden, add the rum. As vapor forms
in the pan, ignite the alcohol and continue to cook until the flame dies out and
the caramel sauce becomes thick enough to coat the bananas.
*Safety Note: please read safety instructions by clicking
completing this step.
6. Pass this mixture through a sieve to produce a puree and set aside.
7. Lightly whip the double cream. Refrigerate until needed.
8. Using a stand mixer, whisk the egg whites on high speed until frothy. Then
add about ¼ of the remaining caster sugar. Continue whisking while adding the
remainder of the sugar slowly until soft peaks form.
9. Fold the reserved banana puree and hazelnut powder into the whipped egg
whites. Then gently fold the whipped cream into the mixture.
10. Transfer the mousse to a piping bag and cut a small hole at the tip. Remove
the chocolate tube from the freezer and stand vertically on a work surface. Pipe
the banana mousse into the tube evenly. Place the filled tube into the freezer.
Important notice - The recipe, graphics (unless otherwise stated) and audio files are the sole
property and copyright © Häagen-Dazs. Recipes4us accepts no liability for the
content and would advise you to read the safety instructions relating to using
blow torches or dry ice as provided by Häagen-Dazs which you can access by
HERE Links to this document are also included at the
relevant stages of the recipe.
Baked Alaska Step 1
Baked Alaska Step 2
Baked Alaska Step 3
Baked Alaska Step 4
Baked Alaska Step 5
Baked Alaska Step 6
Baked Alaska Step 7