Curried Vegetables with Lentils
HT MC Indian
Vegetables Pulses Main Course
Curry Curries Gluten Wheat
Dairy Free Eggless Ind India
8 tbsp Vegetable Oil
1/2 teasp Mustard Seeds
1/2 teasp Cumin Seeds
2 Red Chilies, deseeded and chopped
8 Curry Leaves
2 Garlic Cloves, crushed
2 tbsp Desiccated Coconut
225g/8oz Split Lentils
1/2 teasp Turmeric
450g/1lb fresh mixed Vegetables, e.g. Courgettes,
(zucchini ) Okra,
Green Beans, Capsicums
4 Tomatoes, quartered
2 Garlic Cloves, thinly sliced to garnish
2 tbsp Freshly chopped Coriander, to garnish
1. Cut the mixed vegetables into bite-sized pieces and set aside.
2. Heat half the oil in a large saucepan, add the mustard and cumin seeds, chilli, curry leaves, crushed garlic and coconut and sauté over a medium heat until lightly browned.
3. Add the lentils, turmeric and water, bring to the boil then simmer for 20-30 minutes until the lentils are very soft.
4. Add the fresh vegetables and tomatoes and continue to cook for 10 minutes.
5. Meanwhile, melt the remaining oil in a frying pan, add the garlic slices and fresh coriander and gently fry until softened and golden.
6. To serve - transfer the vegetables to a heated serving dish and sprinkle over the fried garlic and coriander. Serve hot.
Overseas Visitors: If you're
more used to measuring ingredients by the cup, we have the most comprehensive
weight to cups conversion table on the net - both solid ingredients and liquids
- so now you can easily convert our recipes to suit your preference.
to go to the chart.