Petis HT Indian
60mins plus chilling
Lamb Starter Appetizer
Party Buffet Hors d'oeuvre
Ind Curry India
900g/2lb Potatoes, peeled &
cut into chunks
1 tbsp Vegetable Oil
1 Large Onion, finely chopped
2 Garlic Cloves, crushed
5cm/2inch piece Fresh Ginger, very finely
1 teasp Ground Cumin
2 Green Chillis, finely chopped
2 tbsp Freshly chopped Coriander
2 tbsp Freshly chopped Mint
225g/8oz Minced Lamb or Beef
50g/2oz Frozen Peas, thawed
The Juice of 1 Lemon
2 Eggs, beaten
Dried Breadcrumbs for coating
Vegetable oil for shallow frying
Lettuce to Garnish
Lemon wedges to garnish
1. Place the potato pieces into a large pan, cover with water, bring to the boil and cook for 20 minutes until soft.
2. Meanwhile, heat 1 tablespoon of oil in a frying pan, add the onion, garlic, ginger, cumin, chillis, coriander and mint and fry gently until the onions are soft and
3. Raise the heat a little then add the meat and peas and cook, stirring all the time, until the meat is browned and cooked. Stir in the lemon juice and add salt to taste. Set aside.
4. Drain the potatoes then mash well with a fork or potato masher without adding any butter or milk.
5. Divide the potato into 8 portions then take one portion and flatten between your hands to form a thick pancake-like shape.
6. Place a spoonful of the meat mixture in the centre of the flattened potato then gradually close up your hand so the meat is enclosed by the potato. Roll into a ball between your hands, making sure the potato completely surrounds the meat, then flatten slightly.
7. Repeat the process with the remaining 7 portions of potato.
8. Place the breadcrumbs onto a plate and put the beaten egg into a shallow bowl.
9. Dip each "potato cake" into the egg then roll in the breadcrumbs to coat all over. Chill the petis for 1 hour.
10. After this time, heat the vegetable oil in a frying pan and shallow fry the petis a few at a time, until brown and
crisp on all sides. Keep each batch warm until all the petis have been cooked.
11. To serve - drain on kitchen paper and serve hot garnished with lettuce and lemon wedges.