Serves 4 – 6 Hot Lamb
Meat Herbs Main Course Greece Mediterranean Europe
Gluten Wheat Dairy Free Eggless
1 x 1.3kg boned Shoulder or leg of Lamb
150ml/5fl.oz. Olive Oil
3 Garlic Cloves, cut into slivers
4 tbsp Freshly chopped Oregano
The Juice of 1 Lemon
Salt and Black Pepper
1. Preheat the oven to 220C, 425F, Gas Mark 7. Heat half of the oil in a large
frying pan, add the lamb and brown on all sides. Remove from the pan draining
2. Cut 2 very long (1m) pieces of baking parchment (paper is traditional) or
aluminium foil, then place one lengthways and one widthways into a roasting tin
so that they overhang the sides.
3. Using a small sharp knife, pierce holes at intervals about 2.5cm/1-inches
deep in the lamb and push the garlic slivers into the cuts.
4. Place the remaining oil, lemon juice, herbs, salt and pepper in a small bowl,
mix well then massage the mixture all over the lamb.
5. Place the lamb onto the paper in the roasting tin, folding in in half or
loosely rolling it, then bring the over-lapping pieces of parchment paper
together, form into a parcel folding the edges over to form a seal then roast
for 20 minutes.
6. Reduce the oven temperature to 180C, 350F, Gas Mark 4 and continue to roast
for a further 1 ½ hours.