A Weekday Menu Recipe
Calves Liver with Orange HT
Serves 4 Hot Offal Vegetables Fruit Spices
Herbs Main Course Eggless
Plain Flour for coating
Salt and Pepper
¼ teasp Dry Mustard
¼ teasp Cayenne Pepper
8 slices Calves Liver
1 tbsp Olive Oil
1 Onion, finely chopped
2 Garlic Cloves, crushed
450ml/15fl.oz. Fresh Beef Stock
1 tbsp Freshly chopped Parsley
1 teasp Freshly chopped Thyme
½ teasp Sugar
1 Orange, peeled and thinly sliced
1. On a plate, mix together the flour salt, pepper, mustard and cayenne then use
to coat the liver slices on all sides.
2. Heat the half the butter and the oil in a frying pan, add the liver and fry
for 1-2 minutes on each side. Remove with tongs to a serving dish and keep warm
3. Reheat the oil and butter in the frying pan, adding a little more oil if
necessary, then add the onion and garlic sauté for 3-5 minutes until golden.
4. Gradually add the stock, stirring constantly, then add the parsley and thyme,
bring to the boil and boil rapidly for 5 minutes to slightly reduce. Pour over
the liver slices and keep warm.
5. Melt the remaining butter in the wiped out frying pan, sprinkle in the sugar,
stir well then add the orange slices and brown quickly on both sides.
6. To serve – arrange the orange slices around the liver and serve immediately.
Serving Suggestions :
Types of Offal
| More English