Flambéed Calves Kidneys
HT MC 25mins plus standing
Serves 4 Hot Offal Vegetables Alcohol
Main Course Eggless
675g /1½ lb Calves Kidneys, washed and dried
Salt and Pepper
3 tbsp Olive Oil
1 Onion, finely chopped
1 Garlic Clove, crushed
1 tbsp Plain Flour
3 tbsp Cognac or Brandy
4 tbsp Double Cream
1 teasp sugar
2 teasp Prepared English Mustard
1 teasp Worcestershire Sauce
1. Cut the white sinew out of the kidneys, cut into 1cm/½-inch slices then rub
some salt into the kidneys and set aside for 30 minutes. After this time, rinse
the kidneys in warm water, pat dry with kitchen paper and season well with salt
2. Heat the oil in a large frying pan , add the onion and garlic and sauté until
soft and transparent.
3. Meanwhile, coat the kidney slices in flour, shaking off any excess. Push the
onions and garlic to the sides of the pan, add the coated kidney slices and
sauté for 5 minutes, turning often..
4. Pour the Cognac over the kidneys, and carefully ignite then allow the flames
to die out.
5. Add the cream to the pan, mixing well then. add the butter, sugar, mustard
and Worcestershire sauce, mix well and cook over a very low heat for about 5
minutes, turning the kidneys once or twice. Do not boil. Serve immediately.
Serving Suggestions :
Types of Offal
Recipes with Alcohol