Danish Liver Pate CD
HD 120mins plus cooling
Serves 6-8 Cold Pork Fish
Spices Hors d'oeuvre
Starter Appetizer Denmark Europe
350g/12oz Streaky Bacon Rashers
1 tbsp Butter
1 tbsp Flour
120ml/4fl.oz. Double cream
225g/8oz Pigs Liver, finely minced
175g/6oz Pork Fat or Lard, chopped
1 Medium Onion, chopped
2 tinned Anchovy Fillets, drained
¼ teasp Allspice
¼ teasp Ground Cloves
Salt and Black Pepper
Sliced Pickled Gherkins
1. Preheat the oven to 180C, 350F, Gas Mark 4 and line the bottom and sides
of a 480ml/16fl.oz. loaf tin with the bacon rashers, overlapping them slightly
and allowing the ends to hang over the sides of the pan.
2. Melt the butter in a medium sized saucepan, stir in the flour and cook for
2-3 minutes, stirring, until it forms a paste (roux).
3. Gradually stir in the cream and milk, bring to a boil and simmer for 5
minutes until thick and smooth. Remove from the heat and allow to cool.
4. Place the cooled sauce and the remaining pate ingredients in a large
mixing bowl and mix well then transfer to a food processor and process until
5. Transfer the liver mixture to the bacon lined tin and fold the ends of the
bacon strips over to cover the top.
6. Cover tightly with aluminium foil and place in a large deep baking tin
with enough water to come halfway up the sides of the loaf tin. Bake for 1½
7. Allow to cool then refrigerate for at least 2 hours before serving.
8. To serve - Unmould the pate onto a large serving platter and serve with
thinly sliced pickled gherkins and toast.
More Starter Recipes | Summer Recipes