Aubergines HT MC Egyptian
Egyptian Name: Mahshy
Serves 4 Hot Vegetables Grains Main
Course Gluten Wheat Dairy free Eggless Egypt North African Nth Africa
4 medium Aubergines (Eggplant), halved
2 tbsp Vegetable Oil
1 Onion, chopped
2 Garlic Cloves, crushed
1kg/2.2lb Tomatoes, chopped
2 tbsp freshly chopped Parsley
100g?4oz White Rice
Salt and Pepper
240ml/8fl.oz. Fresh Chicken, Beef or Lamb Stock
1. Preheat the oven to 200C, 400F, Gas Mark 6. Prick the outsides of the
aubergines with a fork, then scoop out the flesh to within 12mm/˝ inch of the
sides and sprinkle with salt. Set aside.
2. Heat butter or oil in a frying pan, add the onion, garlic and parsley, and
sauté for 5 minutes, stirring from time to time.
3. Stir in the tomatoes, rice, salt and pepper and continue to cook, stirring,
for 5 minutes then remove from the heat, turn the mixture onto a large platter,
spread out and set aside to cool for 10 minutes.
4. Fill the aubergines with the cooled rice mixture, place filled side up in a
deep casserole then pour the stock over and around the aubergines. Cover with a
lid or aluminium foil and bake for 40-45 minutes or until the rice is tender.
Pasta, Grains, Pulses, Rice Recipes |
in Season |
Overseas Visitors: If you're
more used to measuring ingredients by the cup, we have the most comprehensive
weight to cups conversion table on the net - both solid ingredients and liquids
- so now you can easily convert our recipes to suit your preference.
to go to the chart.