Kasha with Mushrooms
Veg HT ACC Russian 40mins
Serves 4 Hot Vegetarian Grains
Vegetables Herbs Accompaniment Gluten Wheat free Russia Europe
175g/6oz Toasted Buckwheat
1 Egg, lightly beaten
5 tbsp Butter
1 large Onion, very finely chopped
1 Garlic Clove, crushed
480ml/16fl.oz. Fresh Vegetable Stock
Salt and Black Pepper
225g/8oz Mushrooms, chopped
3 tbsp freshly chopped Parsley
2 tbsp Sour Cream
1. Place the buckwheat and egg in a small mixing bowl and mix well.
2. Heat a frying pan until hot then add the buckwheat mixture and cook over a
medium heat, stirring, for about 3 minutes, until the grains separate and the
mixture is dry. Remove from the heat and set aside.
3. Melt 3 tablespoons of the butter in a large saucepan then add the onion and
garlic and sauté until softened.
4. Add the buckwheat mixture and stock to the pan, season with salt and pepper,
cover, and simmer over a low heat for 15 minutes or until the kasha is tender
and the liquid has been absorbed.
5. Meanwhile, heat the remaining 2 tablespoons butter in a small frying pan, add
the mushrooms and sauté until the mushrooms are tender and all the liquid has
6. Once the kasha is tender, stir in the cooked mushrooms, parsley, and sour
cream. Serve hot.
Grains Recipes |
More Russian Recipes