HT ACC Portuguese 80mins plus soaking
Portuguese name: Feijao a Portuguesa
Serves 4-6 Hot Pork
Vegetables Pulses Accompaniment Gluten Wheat Dairy Free Eggless Portugal Europe
400g/14oz dry Beans e.g. Pinto, Navy or Kidney beans
1 tbsp Olive Oil
3 Rashers of Bacon or Linquica, chopped (check ingredients)
1 large Onion, chopped
2 Garlic Cloves, chopped
2 tbsp Tomato Puree
1 teasp Ground Cinnamon
˝ teasp Ground Allspice
˝ teasp Ground Cloves
˝ teasp Ground Cumin
1. Rinse the beans in cold water then place in a saucepan, cover with
2.5cm/1-inch of cold water and bring to the boil.
2. Remove from the heat, cover with a lid and leave to soak for 2 hours.
3. After the soaking time, heat the oil in a frying pan, add the bacon, onion
and garlic and fry for 5 minutes, stirring.
4. Add the tomato puree and spices, mix well and simmer for 5 minutes.
5. Add the mixture to the saucepan containing the soaked beans together with
enough water to just cover. Bring to the boil, then reduce the heat and simmer
for about 50 minutes, stirring from time to time and checking the water level.
6. Add the salt towards the end of the cooking time. Serve hot.
Pasta, Pulses, Grains, Rice Recipes
| Vegetarian Recipes |
in Season |