Serves 4 Hot Vegetarian Pulses
Accompaniment Gluten Wheat Dairy free Eggless Venezuela Sth America South
1/4 teasp Saffron threads
2 teasp Hot Water
225g/8oz long-grain Rice
4 small Ripe Plantains (yellow to black skinned)
1 tbsp Vegetable oil
Salt and Cayenne Pepper
Freshly chopped Parsley to garnish
1. Preheat the oven to 170C, 325F, Gas Mark 3. Place the rice in a medium
saucepan cover with plenty of cold water, season with salt, bring to the boil
then reduce the heat and simmer for about 15 minutes or until the rice is just
2. Dissolve the saffron in hot water for 5 minutes.
3. Drain the rice well, return to the pan and stir in the saffron and its water.
Transfer to a shallow wide ovenproof dish and place in the oven to dry out a
4. Meanwhile, peel the plantains and cut in half lengthways.
5. Heat the oil in large frying pan until hot then fry the plantains until
golden brown on both sides. Season with salt and cayenne pepper.
6. To serve - Sprinkle the chopped parsley over rice and arrange fried plantains
on top. serve immediately.