Black Beans Veg
HT ACC Venezuelan 260mins plus soaking
Venezuelan Name: Caraotas
Serves 4 Hot Vegetarian
Pulses Accompaniment Dairy Free Eggless Venezuela Sth American
450g/1lb Black Beans, pre-soaked overnight and drained
1 whole Onion, peeled
2 tbsp Ground Cumin
2 teasp Chilli Powder
2 teasp Dried Oregano
3 tbsp Honey
2 tbsp Lime Juice
1 tbsp Oil
4 Spring Onions, chopped
2 tbsp freshly chopped Coriander (cilantro)
1 tbsp Garlic Salt
1 tbsp Salt
1 tbsp Soy Sauce
1. Place the beans and the whole onion in a large saucepan, cover with
5cm/2-inches of water , bring to the boil then reduce the heat and simmer for 1
hour checking the water level every 20 minutes, stirring and topping up
as necessary. Do not add any salt.
2. Remove the onion, add the cumin, chilli powder and oregano mix well and
continue to simmer for a further hour once again, checking the water level from
time to time, stirring and topping up as necessary. Do not add any
3. Add the honey and lime juice, mix well and simmer for another hour, until
beans are soft, once again, checking the water level every 20 minutes,
stirring and topping up as necessary. There should only be enough water to
maintain a thick consistency. Do not add any salt.
4. Heat the oil in a frying pan, add the spring onions, coriander, and garlic
power and sauté for 4-5 minutes.
5. Add the onion mixture to the beans together with the salt and soy sauce, mix
well and simmer for a further hour, checking the water level every 20 minutes,
stirring and topping up as necessary to maintain a thick consistency.
6. Adjust the seasoning adding more salt, lemon juice, soy sauce and other
spices to taste. Serve hot.
Pasta, Pulses, Grains, Rice Recipes
| Vegetarian Recipes |
in Season |