A savoury batter flavoured with sage then stuffed with a creamy ham, spinach, mushroom filling.
Yield: Serves 2
Recipe Tags: Hot Pork Main Course
Shrove Tuesday Pancake Day
For the Pancakes
50g/2oz Plain Flour
Salt and Black Pepper
1 teasp Dried Sage
Vegetable Oil for frying For the Filling
1 tbsp Olive Oil
50g/2oz Onions, chopped
50g/2oz Mushrooms, roughly chopped
175g/6oz Cooked Spinach, chopped
100g/4oz Ham, chopped
8 tbsp Mascarpone or Ricotta Cheese
Freshly Grated Parmesan Cheese
1. Preheat the oven to 180C, 350F, Gas Mark 4 and lightly oil a
shallow ovenproof dish. Make the pancakes by placing the flour,
salt, pepper herbs (if using) milk and egg in a large bowl and whisk
until smooth and lump free. Transfer the batter to a measuring jug.
2. Heat 2 teaspoons of oil in a frying pan until very
hot, then pour most of it into a heatproof container,
leaving just enough oil to coat the pan.
3. Pour in a little of the batter, tilting the pan to
evenly cover the base with a thin layer. Fry over a
moderate heat until the underside is golden. This will
only take 1-2 minutes.
4. Using a palette knife, loosen the edges then turn the
pancakes over and cook the other side for 30 to 60
seconds only until golden.
5. Repeat until all the batter is used up, stacking the
cooked pancakes on a plate interleaved with greaseproof
paper so they don’t stick together.
6. Make the filling by heating the oil in a frying pan
until hot then add the onions and mushrooms and sauté
over a medium heat for 2–3 minutes, stirring from time
7. Add the spinach, ham, mascarpone, salt and pepper,
mix gently and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes.
8. Divide the filling between the pancakes, spreading it
evenly over the surface, roll or fold each pancake into
quarters and place in the prepared ovenproof dish.
Sprinkle with Parmesan and bake for 10-15 minutes until
heated through and golden. Serve hot.