Baked Semolina Gnocchi with Bacon
HT MC Italian
30mins plus cooling
Hot Pork Vegetables Herbs Main
450ml/15fl.oz . Milk or Vegetable Stock
100g /4oz Semolina
1 Large Egg, beaten
75g/3oz Finely Grated Parmesan Cheese
Salt and Black Pepper
1 tbsp Olive Oil
˝ a large Onion, finely chopped
1 Garlic Clove, crushed
4 Rashers of Streaky Bacon, chopped
1 x 400g/14oz tin Chopped Tomatoes
1 Bay leaf
1 teasp Sugar
1. Place the milk or stock in a large saucepan, bring to the boil then sprinkle
in the semolina, stirring constantly and cook, stirring, for about 4 minutes or
until the mixture is very thick
2. Remove from the heat, then add the egg, half the cheese, salt and pepper and
3. Transfer the mixture to a large baking tray or board and spread it out evenly
to a depth of about 12mm/˝“ thick. Set aside and allow it to set and cool
4. Meanwhile, make the sauce by heating the butter and olive oil in a medium
sized saucepan then sauté the onion and garlic for 4-5 minutes until soft and
5. Add the chopped bacon and fry for a few minutes until golden brown then add
the tomatoes, bay leaf, sugar, salt and pepper, bring to the boil then
reduce the heat and cook over a medium heat for 15 minutes until the sauce is
thick and slightly reduced. Remove the bay leaf, season with salt and
pepper and set aside until you’re ready to bake the gnocchi.
6. Once cold, preheat the oven to 200C, 400F, Gas Mark 6 and grease a wide
shallow ovenproof dish which is large enough to take the pieces (overlapped) in
a single layer.
5. Cut the set semolina mixture into 5cm /2-inch squares, circles or triangles
then arrange them, very slightly overlapping in the greased dish.
6. Pour the sauce over the top, sprinkle with the remaining cheese and bake for
15-20 minutes. Serve immediately.
More Gnocchi Recipes |
Vegetarian Recipes | What's
Overseas Visitors: If you're
more used to measuring ingredients by the cup, we have the most comprehensive
weight to cups conversion table on the net - both solid ingredients and liquids
- so now you can easily convert our recipes to suit your preference.
to go to the chart.