MC French 4 hours
Serves 8-10 Hot
Pork Bacon Game Main Course France Europe
Dried White Haricot Beans, pre-soaked overnight and
2 tbsp Goose Fat
1kg/2.2lb Belly of ( Pork with rind)
225g/8oz Tomatoes, chopped
200g/7oz Carrots, sliced
2 Onions, each studded with 6 whole Cloves
1 Bouquet Garni
4 Garlic Cloves, halved
Salt and Black Pepper
4 pieces Preserved Duck or Goose (Confit)
675g/1˝lb Toulouse Sausages
1. Place the beans in a large saucepan, cover with fresh
cold water, bring to the boil and cook for 5 minutes. Drain well and set aside.
2. Meanwhile, heat the goose fat or lard in a large
flameproof casserole, add the pork which has been cut into cubes and brown on
3. Add the carrots and tomatoes and cook for 5 minutes,
4. Add the drained beans, bouquet garni, garlic, salt,
pepper, onions and reserved pork rind which has been cut into strips. Cover with
cold water, bring to the boil then reduce the heat, cover
and cook over a low heat for about 1-1/2 hours.
5. Preheat the oven to 170C, 325F, Gas Mark 3 and brown
the sausages in a little fat.
6. Add the duck or goose confit and the browned sausages
to the casserole, pushing them down into the beans,
then transfer the casserole to the oven and cook for a further 2 hours,
uncovered, pushing the brown crust which will form back down into the beans with
a wooden spoon several times during the cooking period (traditionally six
times). Serve hot making sure each diner gets a piece of all the meats. A meal in itself.
This dish can be prepared well in advance and reheated
or frozen for future use.
Pork/Bacon Recipes | General
Pork Prep & Cooking Times |