1. Preheat the oven to 200C, 400F, Gas mark 5. Place the
whole potatoes , with the skins on, in a large saucepan, cover with
water, bring to the boil then cook for about 20 minutes or until
tender all the way through.
2. Meanwhile, heat the butter in a frying pan, add the onion and
bacon and sweat over a medium/low heat, turning from time to time,
until the onions are soft but not brown.
3. Raise the heat, add the garlic and sauté for 1 minute, stirring
constantly, then add the wine and continue to cook for a further 1
minute. Remove from the heat, stir in the cream and set aside.
4. Drain the potatoes in a colander and cool under cold running
water. As soon as they are cool enough to handle,
peel and cut into slices no thicker than 1cm/½-inch slices.
5. Place half the sliced potatoes across the base of a shallow
ovenproof dish, season with salt and pepper, then spread the onion
and bacon mixture evenly over the top.
6. Pour over the cream then add the remaining potatoes in an even
layer over the top and season with pepper.
7. Cut the Reblochon in half widthways so you have two whole
circles, place on top of the potatoes cut sides down then bake for
10 minutes. Reduce the heat to 180C, 350’F, Gas mark 4 for a
further 25-30 minutes until the cheese has melted and the top is
End of instructions