Chicken Pie HT
MC South African 150mins
South African Name: Hoender Pastei
Hot Poultry Alcohol Vegetables Main Course S.
4 Chicken Quarters (on the bone)
1/2 teasp Mixed Pickling Spices
Salt and Black Pepper
2 Onions, quartered
4 carrots, halved width-ways
3 tbsp Plain Flour
60ml/2fl.oz. White Wine
2 Egg Yolks
4 tbsp Lemon Juice
3 hard-boiled Eggs, sliced
4 thin slices Ham
1 Egg, beaten
1. Place the chicken, spices, salt, onions, and carrots in a saucepan, cover
with water then bring to the boil. Reduce the heat and simmer for 1 hour.
2. Preheat the oven to 220C, 425F, Gas Mark 7 . Remove the chicken from the
saucepan, strain the cooking liquor into a measuring jug, reserve the carrots
and cut the chicken up into bite-sized pieces. Set aside. Discard the onion and
3. Heat the butter in a medium saucepan, add the flour and cook for 3-5
minutes over a medium heat, stirring constantly to form a roux
4. Add about 720ml/24fl.oz. of the reserved cooking liquor together with the
wine and continue to cook until thickened slightly.
5. In a small bowl, beat the egg yolks and lemon juice together until frothy,
add to the sauce, beating well, and continue cooking until sauce thickens a
little more. Adjust the seasoning and remove from the heat.
6. Place the chicken pieces in the bottom of a deep baking tin, arrange the
hard-boiled egg slices on top of the chicken, lay the ham slices on top.
7. Cut the reserved carrots into slices and spread over the ham then pour the
sauce over the top.
8. Roll the pastry out large enough to cover the baking tin , and lay it over
the tin pressing along the edges firmly. Trim any excess pastry hanging over the
edges, pierce the top in a few places to allow steam to escape then brush pastry
with beaten egg.
9. Bake for 10 minutes, then reduce heat to 180C, 350F, Gas Mark 4 and bake
for a further 30 minutes until golden brown. Serve hot.