HT MC Polish
Polish name: Bigos
Serves 4 Hot Game Pork
Alcohol Dried Fruit Vegetables Main
Course Dairy Free Eggless Poland Eastern Europe
4 tbsp Oil
450g/1lb Venison, cut into
1 Large Onion
2 Garlic Cloves, crushed
4 tbsp Plain Flour
4 tbsp mild Paprika
900ml/30fl.oz. Beef Stock
225g/8oz smoked Ham, cut in large dice
275g/10oz Smoked Sausage (Kielbasa), thickly sliced
2 teasp Dried Thyme
1 heaped tbsp Dried Parsley
1 teasp Cayenne Pepper
Salt and Black Pepper
2 tbsp Tomato Paste
400g/14 oz White Cabbage, coarsely chopped
2 Apples, coarsely chopped
2 Carrots, sliced
8 pitted Prunes, quartered
4 Tomatoes, roughly chopped
240ml/8fl.oz. Red Wine
1. Heat the oil in a large saucepan, add the onion and garlic and sauté over a
medium heat or 2-3 minutes. Remove with a slotted spoon and set aside.
2. Re-heat the oil in the pan until very hot then add the venison in batches and
brown on all sides.
3. Return all the browned meat to the saucepan together with the onion and
garlic, sprinkle the flour over the top, then cook, stirring until light brown.
4. Add the paprika and cook for 2 minutes, stirring constantly then gradually
add the beef stock, stirring constantly.
5. Bring to the boil then add the ham, kielbasa, herbs, salt, peppers, and
tomato paste. Stir well, then reduce the heat, cover and simmer over a low heat
for 1 hour stirring from time to time and adding more liquid if necessary to
keep the meat just covered.
5. After the cooking time, add the cabbage, apples, carrots, prunes, tomatoes
and wine, mix well, taste and adjust the seasoning then cook for a further 20
minutes. Serve hot.
Poultry & Game Recipes | General
Poultry & Game Prep & Cooking Times