Pheasant with Red Wine Sauce HT MC
Serves 4 Hot Poultry Pork
Game Bird Alcohol Herbs Main Course Eggless
2 Young Hen Pheasants, washed and dried
1 tbsp Oil
4 Streaky Bacon Rashers
Salt and Pepper
4 large sprigs Fresh Thyme
2 Bay Leaves
450ml/15 fl.oz. Robust Red Wine
2 tbsp Plain Flour
120ml/4 fl.oz. Single Cream
1. Preheat the oven to 180C, 350F, Gas Mark 4 and well season the pheasants with
salt and pepper both inside and out.
2. Heat the oil and half the butter in a frying pan then add the pheasants and
brown well on all sides. Transfer to an ovenproof dish.
3. Arrange the bacon rashers over the breasts of the birds then slowly pour the
wine over the top.
4. Add the thyme and bay leaves to the dish then roast for about 1 hour or until
they are cooked through, basting several times during the cooking period.
5. Once cooked, remove the pheasants from the dish, reserving the cooking
liquor, and return them to the oven to keep warm whilst you make the wine sauce.
6. Melt the remaining butter in a saucepan, stir in the flour and cook for 1
minutes to form a smooth paste.
7. Gradually add the cooking liquor, mixing well then bring to the boil
stirring. Reduce the heat and simmer for 2-3minutes.
8. Gradually stir in the cream and continue to cook gently for 1 minute. Serve
hot with the roast pheasant.
Poultry & Game Recipes | General
Poultry & Game Prep & Cooking Times