Roast Duck with Grapefruit Sauce
HT MC 45mins
Poultry Game Duck Fruit Vegetables Main Course
4 duck breasts, finely scored
2 large potatoes
1 sweet potato
Splash of milk
1 head of spring cabbage (or savoy cabbage)
200ml sweet wine
100ml chicken stock
1 tsp cornflour
1 tsp soy sauce
Salt and pepper
1 red grapefruit, segmented
1. Pre-heat the oven to 180°C/350°F/gas mark 4.
2. Peel the potatoes and chop into cubes, then place into a saucepan, cover with
water and bring to the boil. Turn down the heat and simmer until cooked. Drain
off and mash with the butter and milk, season, cover and leave. Prepare the
cabbage by chopping the leaved into strips.
3. While waiting for the potatoes to cook, get on with the duck. Place a frying
pan on a low heat, season the duck breast heavily and place skin side down in
the pan, continue cooking on the low heat until the fat starts coming out,
draining off as you go along. Cook like this for about 10 minutes, then turn up
the heat, crisp up the skin and flip over.
4. Pop onto a tray and finish in the oven for 5 minutes, then take out and rest
for 5 minutes.
5. Place a pan on the heat for the greens, add a little splash of water. When
hot, add the cabbage, season and cook for about 5 minutes. Drain off and cover.
6. Then back to the sauce, drain the remaining fat out of the frying pan, and
pour the sweet wine into the pan, mixing in the residue. Add the stock, soy
sauce and seasoning and reduce by half, then thicken with the cornflour. Finally
take off the heat and stir in the grapefruit.
To serve - slice the duck and serve with the mash, greens and sauce.
If you've arrived at this page via a search engine, do take a few minutes to
look around the site. We're convinced you'll find lots more excellent recipes
and in depth culinary information covering a wide range of food related topics.