Stuffed Pigeon HT
MC Egyptian 80mins
Egyptian Name: Hamam Mahshi
Serves 4 Hot Poultry Game Birds Vegetables Herbs Main Course Gluten
Eggless Egypt North Africa Nth African
4 Pigeons, with giblets
8 Spring Onions, chopped
Salt and Black Pepper
75g/3oz Coarse Cornmeal
1 tbsp Freshly Chopped Mint
360ml/12fl.oz. Boiling Water
600ml/20fl.oz. Fresh Chicken Stock
1. Preheat the oven to 200C, 400F, gas Mark 6. Chop the giblets. Melt half the
butter in a medium sized frying pan then add the chopped giblets, spring onions,
salt and pepper and fry over a medium/high heat for 5 minutes, turning from time
2. Remove the pan from the heat, add the cornmeal and mint and mix well.
3. Stuff each bird with 2 tablespoons of cornmeal mixture then pull the loose
skin over cavity and secure with wooden toothpicks, trussing pins or loosely sew
with a needle and thread. Transfer the birds to a heatproof casserole and set
the remaining stuffing aside.
4. Melt the remaining butter and brush all over stuffed birds. Add the boiling
water to the casserole dish then cover with a lid or aluminium foil and bake for
approximately 50 minutes or until tender, basting every 10 minutes.
Meanwhile, place the stock in a medium saucepan and bring to the boil. Add the
remaining stuffing, bring back to the boil then reduce the heat, cover and
simmer 30 minutes.
Serve hot to accompany the baked pigeons.
Poultry & Game Recipes | General
Poultry & Game Prep & Cooking Times
Overseas Visitors: If you're
more used to measuring ingredients by the cup, we have the most comprehensive
weight to cups conversion table on the net - both solid ingredients and liquids
- so now you can easily convert our recipes to suit your preference.
to go to the chart.