Tipsy Grouse Casserole HT
MC Scottish 115mins
4 Hot Poultry Game Birds
Fruit Alcohol Vegetables Casseroles Gluten Wheat Free
Eggless Scotland British Europe
1 tbsp Oil
2 large Grouse,
cleaned and halved
Salt and Pepper
2 Carrots, sliced
1 Onion, chopped
2 tbsp Whisky
Fresh Chicken Stock
1 tbsp Rowan or Redcurrant Jelly (check ingredients)
1. Preheat the oven to 180C, 350F, Gas Mark 4 and season the grouse
with salt and pepper.
2. Heat the butter and oil in a flameproof casserole dish, add the grouse and
brown on all sides. Remove the grouse from the casserole and set aside.
3. Add the carrots and onion to the casserole and sauté over a low heat for 5
4. Return the grouse to the casserole, then heat the whisky in a metal ladle or
small pan, very carefully set fire to it then pour it over the grouse in
the casserole and allow the flames to subside.
5. Add the stock and mushrooms, cover and bake for 1˝ hours.
6. At the end of the cooking time, strain the cooking juices into a small
saucepan bring, add the jelly then bring to the boil and boil hard until
slightly reduced and thickened.
To serve -
transfer the grouse to serving plates and pour the sauce over the top.
Poultry & Game Recipes | General
Poultry & Game Prep & Cooking Times
Overseas Visitors: If you're
more used to measuring ingredients by the cup, we have the most comprehensive
weight to cups conversion table on the net - both solid ingredients and liquids
- so now you can easily convert our recipes to suit your preference.
to go to the chart.