Casserole of Grouse HT
Poultry Game Bird Alcohol Herbs Main course France Europe
4 tbsp Oil
4 Oven ready
4 sticks of
Celery, thickly sliced
3 whole sprigs
1 whole sprig
Salt and Black
2 tbsp Cognac
4 tbsp Double
1. Preheat the oven to 180C, 350F, Gas Mark 4. Heat the oil in a large flameproof casserole until very hot, add the
grouse, 2 at a time and brown on all sides. Remove from the pan and set aside.
2. Add the shallots, celery and mushrooms to the casserole and fry for 5
minutes, stirring from time to time until softened.
Sprinkle the flour over the
mixture and cook, stirring for 1-2 minutes.
4. Gradually blend in the stock, stirring constantly then add the herbs, salt
and pepper and cook for 3-4 minutes.
5. Return the grouse to the pan, mix well then cover and cook in the oven
for 2 hours.
6. Just before serving, heat the cognac in a ladle or small pan and carefully set alight. Add
to the casserole together with the cream and mix well. Serve hot.
Poultry & Game Recipes | General
Poultry & Game Prep & Cooking Times
Overseas Visitors: If you're
more used to measuring ingredients by the cup, we have the most comprehensive
weight to cups conversion table on the net - both solid ingredients and liquids
- so now you can easily convert our recipes to suit your preference.
to go to the chart.