Chicken Gumbo HT
Dairy Free Eggless Louisiana Nth America North American
1 tbsp Creole
1 Bay Leaf
1/2 teasp Black Pepper
1 Onion, chopped
1 Capsicum (sweet
2 Sticks Celery,
2 Garlic Cloves,
Spring Onions, Green parts only, chopped
1 heaped tbsp
Freshly chopped Parsley
1. Rub the chicken all over with the Creole seasoning and salt. Heat a
large frying pan until very hot, add the chicken and brown quickly. Remove the chicken
2. Heat the oil in a large heavy flameproof-casserole or saucepan, add
the flour and cook, stirring constantly, over medium to high heat until
thickened and dark brown (about the colour of coffee), being careful not to burn it. This is
a Cajun Roux.
3. Add the onion, capsicum, celery and garlic and continue to cook,
stirring constantly, for 4-5 minutes.
4. Gradually add the stock, bay leaf and black pepper (or contents of the
Cuisine Select pack No.2 if using) and chicken, bring to the boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for 1 hour, skimming any fat
off the top as necessary.
5. Add the chopped spring onion tops and fresh parsley, and heat for 5 minutes.
6. To serve - place cooked rice in the bottom of warmed serving bowls and
chicken gumbo over the top. Serve immediately with rice or French bread.
Chicken Recipes | General Prep & Cooking Times |
More Cajun Recipes
Overseas Visitors: If you're
more used to measuring ingredients by the
cup, we have the most comprehensive weight to cups conversion table
on the net - both solid ingredients and liquids - so now you can
easily convert our recipes to suit your preference.
to go to the chart.