Roast Goose with Hazelnut
Hot Poultry Fruit Grains
Nuts Herbs Main Course Gluten Wheat Dairy Free Eggless
1 x 5.5kg/12lb Goose
Salt and Black Pepper
675g/1lb Wild Rice, cooked
75g/3oz Toasted Hazelnuts, chopped
275g/10oz Cooking Apples, peeled, cored
75g/3oz Onion, chopped
teasp Ground Savory
3 tbsp Freshly Copped Parsley
1L/1-3/4 pts Water
1. Preheat the oven to 170C, 325F, Gas mark 3.
2. In a large bowl, mix together the cooked rice, nuts, apples, onion, and herbs. Season with salt and pepper.
3. Wash the goose inside and out (reserving the giblets and neck if present) and pat dry with kitchen paper. Fill the cavity of the goose with the stuffing, then close the opening with trussing skewers or sew up with a needle and thread.
4. Place the goose in a roasting tin, breast side down and bake in the over for 1-1/2 hours, drawing off the fat as it accumulates.
5. Turn, and roast for a further 1-1/2 hours or until the juices run clear when the bird is pierced at the thigh.
6. Meanwhile, place the neck and giblets in a saucepan with 1L/ 1-3/4 pints of water. Bring to the boil then reduce the heat and simmer, partially covered, for 3 hours until reduced by half. Season with salt and black pepper.
7. Once the goose is cooked, remove from the roasting tin and keep warm. Pour off all but 1 tablespoon of the fat from the roasting tin
and scrape up all the brown bits.
Mix the cornflour with a little water to form a running paste.
9. Gradually add the reduced giblet stock to the pan, then add the cornflour
mixture and whisk until smooth. Taste and season with salt and pepper. Serve the gravy in a gravy boat along with the goose.
Great at Christmas or Easter as an alternative to Turkey.
Poultry & Game Recipes | General
Poultry & Game Prep & Cooking Times