Spicy Pickled Plums
Veg CD ACC
Vegetarian Fruit Cold Accompaniment Pickles Preserve Preserves Preserving
1kg/2.2lb Firm Ripe Plums
4 Allspice Berries
4 Small Dried Red Chilies
4 x 2.5cm/1 inch Cinnamon Sticks
6 Whole Cloves
4 Blades of Mace
720ml/24fl.oz. Distilled Malt Vinegar
675g/1 ½ lb Sugar
1. Prepare the jars (see notes below).
2. Prick the plums several times with a cocktail stick then half fill hot jars with plums.
3. Add 2 allspice berries, 2 chilies, 2 cinnamon sticks, 3 cloves and 2 blades of mace to each jar then fill each jar with the remaining plums (see notes below).
4. In a saucepan, combine vinegar and sugar, bring to a boil, stirring constantly then continue to boil for 5 minutes.
5. Pour the hot vinegar into jars to cover plums completely, cover, seal and
label (see notes below)
Serve with cold meats and salads
see also General
jars which are free from cracks, chips or flaws – the best sizes to use are
450g/1lb although 1kg/2lb jars can be successfully used for pickling vegetables.
Prepare the jars by washing well in warm soapy water and rinsing
thoroughly. Dry the jars in a cool oven (140C, 275F, Gas Mark 1).
Fill whilst still warm.
the jars – Fill
with the vegetables to within 2.5cm/1 inch of the top. Pour over the preserving
alcohol etc., to within 1cm/ ½ inch of the top, making sure the
vegetables are completely covered with the liquid. Whilst still hot, cover with
a waxed disc (wax side down), Immediately
place a cellophane cover over the top then cover with a screw top lid.
Storage – Store
in a cool dark place for 1 minth before consuming.