Vegetarian Vegetable Cold Accompaniment Pickles Preserve Preserves Preserving
24 red tomatoes, coarsely chopped
8 Onions, coarsely chopped
2 cucumbers, coarsely chopped
1. In a large bowl, mix together the tomatoes, onions, cucumbers and salt.
Cover with a plate and leave overnight.
2. The next day, prepare the jars (see notes below).
3. Strain off liquid from the tomato mixture and place in a large saucepan.
Add the sugar and vinegar, bring to the boil then continue to boil until tender.
4. Add mustard and cayenne pepper, then lightly sprinkle in the flour and
thicken curry powder. Continue to simmer until thickened, adding a little
more vinegar if necessary.
5. Fill the warm jars, cover, seal and label (see notes below)
Notes: see also General
jars which are free from cracks, chips or flaws – the best sizes to use are
1kg/2lb jars can be successfully used for pickling fruit/vegetables.
Prepare the jars by washing well in warm soapy water and rinsing
thoroughly. Dry the jars in a cool oven (140C, 275F, Gas Mark 1).
Fill whilst still warm to prevent the jars from cracking when the hot
filling is added.
Filling and covering
the jars – Fill to within 1cm/ ½ inch of the top. Whilst still hot,
cover with a waxed disc (wax side down) , immediately place a
cellophane disc over the top then cover with a screw top lid.
Storage – Store
in a cool dark place.