Mushroom Wine Sauce for Meatballs
This sauce goes particularly well with beef, venison or lamb meatballs.
Serves 4 Hot Vegetables Alcohol Accompaniment Savoury
1 tbsp Butter
1 tbsp Olive Oil
1 small Onion, chopped
50g/2oz Mushrooms, roughly chopped
2 tbsp Plain Flour
480ml/16fl.oz. Beef Stock
120ml/4fl.oz. Red wine
1 teasp Worcestershire sauce
Salt and Black Pepper
1. Heat the butter and olive oil in a frying pan until hot then add the
mushrooms and onions and sauté for 4-5 minutes, turning from time to time until
2. Sprinkle the flour over the mixture and cook, stirring, for 1-2 minutes.
3. Gradually add the stock, wine and Worcestershire sauce, stirring constantly,
and cook until thickened.
4. Reduce the heat, season with salt and black pepper and continue to cook
gently for a further 4-5 minutes.
You can then add well browned walnut sized meatballs to the sauce and continue to cook for a
further 5-10 minutes, spooning the sauce over the meatballs from time to time.
Overseas Visitors: If you're
more used to measuring ingredients by the cup, we have the most comprehensive
weight to cups conversion table on the net - both solid ingredients and liquids
- so now you can easily convert our recipes to suit your preference.
to go to the chart. Why not print it off for future reference.
Convert all recipes written in metric or imperial quickly and easily. Metric/imperial users can do the same but the other way round - from
cups to grams or ounces.
If you've arrived at this page via a search engine, do take a few minutes to
look around the site. We're convinced you'll find lots more excellent recipes
and in depth culinary information covering a wide range of food related topics.