HT SP Portuguese 50mins
Serves 4 Hot Seafood Shellfish
Bacon Gluten Wheat Free Portugal Europe
Portuguese name: Sopa Ameijoas
2 tbsp Olive Oil
1 tbsp Butter
50g/2 oz Streaky Bacon, chopped
1 large Onion, chopped
900g/2lb small Clams, cleaned (see note)
1 tbsp Fresh Parsley Sprigs
250g/9oz Long Grain Rice (raw)
175g/6oz Frozen Peas
1. Heat the oil and butter in a large saucepan, add the bacon and onion and
sauté for about 5 minutes until golden brown.
2. Add the water to the pan and bring to the boil, add the rice to the pan, stir
well then add the clams and parsley, cover and simmer over a low heat for about
15 minutes, stirring from time to time.
3. Add the frozen peas to the pan bring back to the boil then reduce the heat
and simmer for a further 10-15 minutes or until the rice is very soft and mushy.
4. To serve - remove all the shells which have loosened from the clams,
discarding any clams which haven’t opened and serve immediately.
NB Before cooking make sure the clam shells are closed. Discard any which may be
open and which do not close when firmly tapped.
Soup Recipes |
Hors d'oeuvre Recipes
Overseas Visitors: If you're
more used to measuring ingredients by the cup, we have the most comprehensive
weight to cups conversion table on the net - both solid ingredients and liquids
- so now you can easily convert our recipes to suit your preference.
to go to the chart.
If you've arrived at this page via a search engine, do take a few minutes to
look around the site. We're convinced you'll find lots more excellent recipes
and in depth culinary information covering a wide range of food related topics.