Serbian Name: Pasulj
Serves 4 Hot Pork Vegetables Pulses
Herbs Spices Stew Main Course Dairy Free Eggless Serbia Europe
450g/1 lb Dried white beans e.g. Cannellini,)
2 Onions, chopped
3 Garlic Cloves, crushed
3 Bay leaves
2 tbsp Freshly Chopped Parsley
2 tbsp Tomato Purée
2 Carrots, peeled and sliced
450g/1 lb Kielbasa Sausage, thickly sliced
Salt and Black Pepper
2 tbsp Olive Oil
1 teasp Paprika
2 tbsp Plain Flour
1. Put the beans in a large saucepan, cover with about 5cm/2-inches of cold
water and bring to the boil. Reduce the heat and simmer gently for 30 minutes.
2. Remove the pan from the heat, drain well in a colander and rinse under
running cold water. Return the beans to the pan and add enough cold water to
cover the beans by 7.5cm/ 3 inches.
3. Add the onions, garlic, bay leaves, parsley, tomato purée, carrot, and pepper
to the beans – don’t add any salt. Bring to simmering point then cook gently
over low heat for 1 hour.
4. Add the kielbasa and a little salt, mix well and continue to cook gently for
a further 45 minutes.
5. At the end of the cooking time, heat the oil in a small saucepan until very
hot, sprinkle in the paprika and flour, mix well then add to the soup, stirring
constantly then allow to simmer for a further 5 minutes to thicken. Serve hot.
Soup Recipes | Summer Recipes
in Season |
More Moroccan Recipes
Overseas Visitors: If you're
more used to measuring ingredients by the cup, we have the most comprehensive
weight to cups conversion table on the net - both solid ingredients and liquids
- so now you can easily convert our recipes to suit your preference.
to go to the chart.
If you've arrived at this page via a search engine, do take a few minutes to
look around the site. We're convinced you'll find lots more excellent recipes
and in depth culinary information covering a wide range of food related topics.