Hot Vegetarian Gluten Wheat
Free Baked Fayre Flan case
50g/2oz White Rice
1 teasp Xanthan
1 Tbsp Sugar
(chilled and cubed)
1 Egg, beaten
1/3 teaspoon salt
1/2 teasp Apple
1. Place the Rice Flour, most of the tapioca flour (reserving 1 tablespoon
for later use), potato starch, cornflour, salt, xanthan gum, and sugar in a
mixing bowl and mix well.
2. Rub the butter into the dry ingredients until the dough feels slightly
moist and begins to hold together.
3. Add the beaten egg and vinegar and mix with a fork until it begins to
stiffen. Lightly flour your hands with the reserved tapioca flour and work into
4. Roll the dough out in between two pieces of parchment paper, turning and
peeling off the top paper as necessary to smooth out any wrinkles, but always
replacing it before continuing to roll.
5. Once rolled to the desired size, gently peel the top layer of paper
off, and invert onto the pie/flan dish. Smooth the dough into the dish before
peeling off the parchment paper.
For a flan case
Prick the base and
bake blind at 180C, 350F, Gas Mark 4 for 12-15 minutes.
For a pie
Make double the
above quantity. Divide the mixture into 2 and continue to stage 5 with one half.
Fill then proceed with stages 4 and 5 with the remaining half and use to top the
pie. Do not fold the pastry over just press down well to seal. Bake according to
the recipe you are using.