Finnish Swede Casserole
Veg HT ACC Finnish 130mins
Hot Vegetarian Vegetables Accompaniment
Finland Scandinavia Scandinavian Europe
1.2kg/2˝lb Swede, peeled and cubed
150ml/5fl.oz. Dark Molasses
2 tbsp Plain Flour
150ml/5fl.oz. Double Cream
3 tbsp Dried Breadcrumbs
1 tbsp Butter
1. Place the swede in a large saucepan, cover with water then bring to the boil
and cook for 20 minutes or until tender.
2. Preheat the oven to 170C, 325F, Gas Mark 3 and lightly butter an ovenproof
casserole dish. Drain the swede very well in a colander, allow to cool a little
then transfer to a food processor and process to a puree.
3. Pour the puree into a large mixing bowl then add the salt, molasses, flour,
eggs and one third of the cream. Mix very well.
4. In another bowl, whip the remaining cream and lightly fold into the swede
5. Pour the mixture into the casserole dish, sprinkle the surface with a thin
layer of the breadcrumbs then dot the surface with little pats of butter. Bake
for 1˝ hours until set, slightly risen and golden brown.
Traditionally served at Christmas with baked ham.
More Vegetable Accompaniment Recipes | What's
in Season |
Overseas Visitors: If you're
more used to measuring ingredients by the cup, we have the most comprehensive
weight to cups conversion table on the net - both solid ingredients and liquids
- so now you can easily convert our recipes to suit your preference.
to go to the chart.
If you've arrived at this page via a search engine, do take a few minutes to
look around the site. We're convinced you'll find lots more excellent recipes
and in depth culinary information covering a wide range of food related topics.