Melitzanes Imam Bayldi Veg HT ACC Greek 70mins
Serves 4 Hot Vegetarian Vegan Vegetables
Herbs Accompaniment Dairy Gluten Wheat Free Eggless Greece Europe Mediterranean
4 Small Aubergines (Eggplants)
150ml/5fl.oz. Olive Oil
Salt and Pepper
450g/1lb Onions, thinly sliced
3-4 Garlic Cloves, thinly sliced
450g/1lb Tomatoes, sliced
1 teasp freshly chopped Oregano
1 teasp Sugar
1. Pre-heat the oven to 180C, 350F, Gas Mark 4 . Using a sharp knife, slit
the aubergines lengthwise on one side only, just making a pocket and making sure
you don't cut all the way through.
2. Heat 4 tablespoons of the olive oil in a large frying pan, add the whole
aubergines and fry on all sides, adding a little more oil to the frying pan if
necessary. Remove from the pan and arrange, side by side, slit upwards in a
shallow ovenproof dish. Season with salt and pepper and set aside.
3. Add the rest of the olive oil to the frying pan add the onions and garlic
and sauté until they are slightly golden.
4. Add the tomatoes, 150ml/5fl.oz.of water, salt, pepper, oregano and sugar.
Mix well, reduce the heat, cover and simmer for 15 minutes.
5. Divide the onion mixture between the aubergines, forcing the mixture into
the slits by opening them slightly then bake for 40 minutes, basting once during
the cooking period. Serve hot.
More Vegetable Accompaniment Recipes | What's
in Season |
Overseas Visitors: If you're
more used to measuring ingredients by the cup, we have the most comprehensive
weight to cups conversion table on the net - both solid ingredients and liquids
- so now you can easily convert our recipes to suit your preference.
to go to the chart.
If you've arrived at this page via a search engine, do take a few minutes to
look around the site. We're convinced you'll find lots more excellent recipes
and in depth culinary information covering a wide range of food related topics.