Veg HT ACC Scottish
Makes 8 Hot Vegetarian Vegetables
Accompaniment Eggless Scotland British Europe
900g/2lb Parsnips, thinly peeled and roughly chopped
1 heaped teasp Ready Made Mustard
100g/4oz Cheddar Cheese, grated
50g/2oz Rolled Oats (oatmeal)
1. Place the parsnips in a saucepan of lightly salted water, bring to the
boil then reduce the heat and cook for 15-20 minutes of until very tender.
3. Drain well then return to the
pan together with the butter and mustard and mash well.
4. Add three quarters of the cheese
and the breadcrumbs, mix thoroughly and leave until cool enough to handle.
Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 190C, 375F, Gas 5 and lightly oil a baking
5. Mix together the oats and the remaining cheese and place on a plate.
6. Form the parsnip mixture into 8
balls, flatten each into a cake no more than 2.5cm/1-inch thick then roll in the
oat mixture to coat well on all sides.
7. Place the cakes on the oiled baking sheet and bake in the oven for 20
minutes, turning half way through the cooking time. Serve hot.