Spinach and Potato Gratin
Veg HT ACC
Serves 4 Hot Vegetarian Vegetables
Spices Accompaniment Gluten Wheat free Eggless
Butter for Greasing
3 tbsp Freshly chopped Mixed Herbs e.g. Parsley, Chives and Basil
¼ teasp Freshly Grated Nutmeg
½ teasp Paprika
Salt and Pepper
675g/1½lb Medium Potatoes, peeled
1 Garlic Clove, crushed
100g/4oz Cheddar, Gruyere or Monterey Jack Cheese, grated
300ml/10fl.oz. Double Cream
1. Preheat the oven to 170C, 325F, Gas Mark 3 and grease a shallow
ovenproof gratin dish with the butter.
2. Wash spinach then place in a large saucepan with only the water which is
clinging to the leaves. Cover and cook over a medium heat, shaking the pan from
time to time, until the leaves are just wilted. Drain well, squeeze out any
excess water then roughly chop and transfer to a mixing bowl.
3. Add the herbs, nutmeg, paprika, salt and pepper to the spinach and mix well.
4. Slice the peeled potatoes as thinly as possible, preferably using a
mandoline, arrange half of them in the greased dish and season with salt and
5. Spread the spinach mixture over the potatoes, sprinkle over half the
cheese, then layer the remaining potatoes on top.
6. Mix together the milk and cream then pour over the potatoes.
7. Sprinkle evenly with the remaining cheese and bake for about 1 ¼ hours
until golden brown and cooked through.