Serves 4-6 Hot Vegetarian
Stuffed Vegetables Grains Accompaniment Gluten Wheat Free
Eggless Russia Europe
225g/8oz Long Grain Rice
1 Small Cabbage
3 tbsp Butter
2 Carrots, chopped
2 Onions, chopped
Salt and Black Pepper
240ml/8fl.oz. Sour Cream
1. Place the rice in a small saucepan together with the water and salt,
bring to the boil then reduce the heat and simmer for 15 minutes or until
2. Meanwhile, remove as much of the thick core from the cabbage (leaving the
leaves still in tact) then place the cabbage in a large saucepan, cover with
water, bring to the boil and cook for about 15 minutes.
3. Whilst the rice and cabbage are cooking, melt the butter in s medium
saucepan, add the carrots and onions and sauté for 5 minutes.
4. Add the mushrooms to the onion mixture, mix well and continue to sauté
for a further 5 minutes.
5. Preheat the oven to 150C, 300F, Gas Mark 2. Drain the rice well then add
to the mushroom mixture seasoning well with salt and black pepper. Mix well
and set aside.
6. Drain the cabbage then separate the leaves and flatten the them out.
Place 1 tablespoon of the rice mixture in the centre of each leaf, roll the
leaves up, tucking the edges in as you go to form little parcels, then place
the parcels seam down in a single layer in a shallow ovenproof dish.
7. Add enough water or vegetable stock to a depth of 2.5cm/1-inch, dot with
extra butter and bake for 1 hour.