Brussels Sprouts with Chestnuts Recipe
Veg HT ACC English 50mins
This is a traditional British Christmas
recipe using fresh Brussels Sprouts and seasonal chestnuts. This vegetarian
version uses vegetable stock however extra flavour can be added by using chicken
stock. If using frozen Brussels sprouts reduce the cooking time.
Christmas Xmas Accompaniment Gluten Wheat free Eggless England
Hot Fresh Vegetable Stock
lb Brussels Sprouts
1. Using a sharp knife, carefully make a cut in each chestnut. Place them in a saucepan, cover with cold water, then bring to the boil and cook for 10 minutes.
2. Drain the chestnuts and remove the shells and thin inner skins. Return to the empty saucepan, add the stock, bring to the boil then simmer gently for 20 minutes until tender.
3. Meanwhile, bring a pan of lightly salted water to the boil. Remove any loose or damaged outer leaves from the Brussels sprouts and make a cross in the base of each with a sharp knife.
4. Add the sprouts to the pan of boiling water and cook for 10 minutes, or until tender. Drain and season with nutmeg. Drain the chestnuts.
5. Melt the butter in a saucepan then add the Brussels Sprouts and chestnuts, shaking the pan gently to thoroughly coat the vegetables. Serve immediately.
Traditionally served at Christmas or Easter
More Vegetable Accompaniment Recipes | What's
in Season |
Overseas Visitors: If you're
more used to measuring ingredients by the cup, we have the most comprehensive
weight to cups conversion table on the net - both solid ingredients and liquids
- so now you can easily convert our recipes to suit your preference.
to go to the chart.