Mushy Peas Veg
Hot Vegetarian Vegetables
Wheat Free Eggless England British Europe
225g/8oz Dried Marrowfat Peas
2 tbsp Cream (Optional)
Salt and Black Pepper
Place the peas in a very large bowl and cover with about 4 times the amount of water. Soak for at least 5 hours (preferably overnight).
2. Discard any peas which are floating and rinse the remaining peas well in a colander.
3. Place the drained peas in a medium sized saucepan, Bring to the boil then
reduce the heat, cover and simmer for 1½ hours or until very soft, stirring
occasionally and adding more water if necessary.
4. Drain any excess water and return the peas to the pan over a low heat to dry them off.
5. Add the butter, salt, black pepper and cream if using, and beat with a wooden spoon until quite smooth but not pureed. Serve immediately.
Tinned marrowfat peas can be used. Just heat thoroughly then proceed from Step 4. The same texture is not achieved with frozen peas.
More Vegetable Accompaniment Recipes | What's
in Season |
Overseas Visitors: If you're
more used to measuring ingredients by the cup, we have the most comprehensive
weight to cups conversion table on the net - both solid ingredients and liquids
- so now you can easily convert our recipes to suit your preference.
to go to the chart.
If you've arrived at this page via a search engine, do take a few minutes to
look around the site. We're convinced you'll find lots more excellent recipes
and in depth culinary information covering a wide range of food related topics.