Navets au Gratin
675g/1 ½lb Turnips, peeled and cut into 6mm/¼ inch slices
Salt and Black
3 tbsp Plain
or Cheddar Cheese, grated
1/4 teasp Grated
2 tbsp Fresh
1. Preheat the oven to 220C, 425F, Gas Mark 7.
2. Place the turnip slices in a pan of lightly salted cold water, bring
to the boil, reduce the heat and simmer for 10 minutes.
3. Meanwhile, heat the butter and mustard in a saucepan, add the flour
and cook, stirring, for 2-3 minutes.
4. Gradually add the milk, a little at a time, stirring constantly, bring
to the boil and cook until thickened, stirring all the time.
5. Remove from the heat and stir in the soured cream, 100g/4oz of the cheese, nutmeg, salt and
pepper. Stir until the cheese has melted.
6. Drain the turnips well and arrange in a shallow ovenproof dish. Pour
the sauce over the top.
7. Mix the remaining cheese with the breadcrumbs and sprinkle over the
top of the
turnips. Bake in the oven for 15 minutes until golden and bubbling. Serve
More Vegetable Accompaniment Recipes | What's
in Season |
Overseas Visitors: If you're
more used to measuring ingredients by the cup, we have the most comprehensive
weight to cups conversion table on the net - both solid ingredients and liquids
- so now you can easily convert our recipes to suit your preference.
to go to the chart.
If you've arrived at this page via a search engine, do take a few minutes to
look around the site. We're convinced you'll find lots more excellent recipes
and in depth culinary information covering a wide range of food related topics.