Samosa Veg HT
HD Pakistani 45mins
6 Hot Vegetarian Vegetables
Herbs Hors d'oeuvre
Starter Appetizer Eggless Pakistan Asia
For the dough
½ teasp Salt
4 tbsp Oil or Ghee
4 tbsp Water
4-5 medium Potatoes, boiled in their skins
4 tbsp Vegetable Oil
1 Onion, finely chopped
100g/4oz Frozen Peas
1 tbsp Finely chopped Ginger
3 tbsp Freshly Chopped Coriander
3 tbsp Water
1 Green Chili, finely chopped
1 teasp Coriander Seeds, ground
1 teasp Garam Masala
1 teasp Roasted Cumin Seeds, ground
1 teasp Chili Powder
2 tbsp Lemon Juice
Oil for deep frying
1. Place the flour and salt into a bowl, add the oil and rub it in with your
fingers until the mixture resembles coarse breadcrumbs.
2. Gradually add about 4 tablespoons water and form into a stiff dough, adding a
little more water if necessary.
3. Knead the dough on a lightly floured work surface for about 10 minutes or
until smooth. Form into ball, rub the ball with about 1/4 teaspoon oil and
place it in a plastic bag. Set aside for 30 minutes.
4. Meanwhile, peel the potatoes and cut them into 6mm/¼ inch dice.
5. Heat 4 tablespoons of oil in a large frying pan then add the onion and sauté
until soft and transparent.
6. Add the peas,
ginger, green chili, fresh coriander, and 3 tablespoons water. Reduce the heat,
cover and simmer for 5 minutes.
7. Add the diced potatoes, salt, coriander seeds, garam masala, roasted cumin,
powder and lemon juice. Mix well and season with salt and pepper. Remove from
the heat and allow to cool.
8. Remove the dough from the bag and knead again then divide it into six
Roll one ball out into a 18cm/7 inch round, (keeping the remaining balls
covered). Cut it in half then brush the straight edge with a little water.
Fold each half over to form a cone, overlapping the edges by 6mm/¼ inch.
9. Fill the cone
with some of the potato mixture using a teaspoon then close the top of the cone
by sticking the open edges together with a little water pressing the top seam
down with the tines of a fork.
10. Repeat with
the the other half and with the remaining dough balls, making 12 in all.
11. Heat the oil to 180C/350F then fry as many samosas as you can get in a
single layer until golden brown and crisp, turning from time to to time. Remove
with a slotted spoon and drain on kitchen paper. Repeat with the remaining
samosas. Serve hot.