Dolmathakia Me Rizi Veg
CD HD Greek 75mins plus cooling
Serves 4 Cold Vegetarian Vegan
Grains Nuts Herbs Hors d'oeuvre Starter Appetizer Dairy Gluten Wheat free
Eggless Greece Mediterranean
For the filling
1 tbsp Olive Oil
125g/+5oz Onion, chopped
50g/2oz Long Grain Rice
1 teasp freshly chopped Dill
1 tbsp Pine Nuts
Salt and Black Pepper
12 Vine Leaves
The juice of 1 Lemon
60ml/2fl.oz. Olive Oil
1. Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a frying pan add the onions and sauté
until soft and transparent.
2. Add the rice, mix well then cover and cook over a low heat for 5 minutes
shaking the pan from time to time to prevent it sticking .
3. Add the remaining filling ingredients, stir to mix and continue to simmer
for a further 5 minutes. Remove from the heat and allow to cool.
4. Meanwhile, if using tinned vine leaves rinse well in cold water. If using
fresh vine leaves, blanche in boiling water for 3 minutes. Drain and rinse in
5. Place the vine leaves, shiny side down-wards on a clean surface or plate.
Put a heaped teaspoon of the filling in the centre of each leaf, fold the sides
of the leaf over the filling then roll it up. Do not roll them up too tightly as
the rice swells during cooking.
6. Place the vine leaf parcels in the bottom of a large saucepan seam side
down. Sprinkle with the lemon juice, olive oil and enough boiling water to cover
by 5cm/2inches. Place a plate over the parcels to prevent them from springing
open, then cover the pan with a lid and simmer over a low heat for about 1 hour,
adding more boiling water if necessary to prevent them burning.
7. Allow to cool in the cooking water, drain well and serve cold.