Edible Flower recipes
Herby Rice Stuffed Courgette
Flowers Veg HT HD 40mins
Serves 4 Hot Vegetarian Herbs
Spices Grains Vegetables Edible Flower Blossoms Hors D’oeuvre Starter
12 Courgette (Zucchini) or Squash Flowers (Blossom)
For the Filling
Approx 6 tbsp Cooked Rice
1 Garlic Clove, crushed
1 heaped teasp Freshly Chopped Thyme
1 Tomato, deseeded and finely diced
1 Spring Onion, finely chopped
Salt and Pepper
For the batter
175g/6oz Self Raising Flour
A pinch of Salt
390ml/13fl.oz. Cold Water
2 Eggs, beaten
Oil for shallow frying
1. Carefully remove the pistol and stamen from the centre of the flowers and
gently wash the flowers then dry on kitchen paper and set aside.
2. Place the rice, garlic, thyme, tomatoes, spring onion, egg, salt and pepper
in a mixing bowl and mix until well blended.
3. Fill each flower with a couple of teaspoons of the rice mixture, making sure
you don’t overfill. Refrigerate whilst you make the batter.
4. In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, salt, water and eggs until
5. Heat about 5cm/2 inches of oil in a large frying pan until quite hot (about
180C/350F) and heat the oven to low.
6. Holding the ends of the petals lightly together, carefully dip a stuffed
flower into the batter, making sure the entire flower is coated, then gently
place into the hot oil. Repeat with a few more but do not overcrowd the pan. You
will probably have to cook them in a couple of batches.
7. Fry for a couple of minutes until lightly browned on one side, then turn and
continue to fry until lightly browned on the other side.
8. As and when each is cooked, remove with a slotted spoon, drain on kitchen
paper and keep warm in the oven. Repeat with remaining stuffed flowers. Serve
hot with a salsa.