Hush Puppies Veg
HT HD ACC Cajun Creole 30mins
Makes approx 24 Hot Vegetarian
Vegetables Starter Appetizer Hors d’oeuvre Accompaniment Louisiana Nth America North American
Oil for deep frying
100g/4oz Plain Flour
1 teasp Baking Powder
Salt and Black Pepper
1 teasp Cayenne Pepper
3 Spring Onions, chopped
½ Green Capsicum (bell pepper), very finely chopped
¼ Onion, very finely chopped
Milk (about 240ml/8fl.oz)
1. Preheat the deep fat fryer to 190C/375F and preheat the oven to low. Place
the cornmeal, flour, baking powder, salt, black pepper and cayenne in a large
mixing bowl and mix well.
2. Add the onions and peppers to the flour mixture and mix to distribute evenly.
3. Add half the milk and mix, adding more milk to form a stiff batter of
dropping consistency i.e. if you take a spoonful and give it a firm shake the
mixture will drop from the spoon.
4. Drop tablespoons of the batter into very hot oil and fry for 2-3 minutes
until light golden brown on all sides, turning them as they puff up. Only cook a
few at a time.
5. Drain on kitchen paper and keep warm in the oven whilst you cook the
Traditionally served with fried catfish but can be served as a starter or as a
side to any main course.
Hors d'oeuvre Recipes | What's
in Season |
Overseas Visitors: If you're
more used to measuring ingredients by the cup, we have the most comprehensive
weight to cups conversion table on the net - both solid ingredients and liquids
- so now you can easily convert our recipes to suit your preference.
to go to the chart.