Morels Au Gratin
Vegetarian Alcohol Wild Fungi Spring Season Hors d'oeuvre Starter Appetizer
3 tbsp Butter
3 Shallots, finely chopped
2 Garlic Cloves, crushed
225g/8oz Fresh Morel Mushrooms, cleaned, dried and halved lengthways
120ml/4fl.oz. Medium Sweet Sherry
240ml/8fl.oz. Double Cream
50g/2oz Finely Grated Cheddar Cheese
1. Melt the butter in a large frying pan, add the shallots and garlic and sauté
for 5 minutes over a medium-high heat, stirring from time to time
2. Add the mushrooms and continue to cook for 5 minutes, stirring frequently,
until the juices released by the mushrooms have evaporated.
3. Increase the heat to high, add the sherry, bring to the boil and continue to
boil for 3-4 minutes until the sherry has reduced by about half.
4. Add the cream and boil for 4-5 minutes, stirring from time to time, until
sauce thickens and coats the mushrooms. Preheat the grill to very high.
5. Transfer the mushroom mixture to a shallow heatproof baking dish, sprinkle
the top evenly with the cheese and grill until the cheese is golden brown and
Serve immediately with crusty bread.
Hors d'oeuvre Recipes | More
Spring Recipes |
Overseas Visitors: If you're
more used to measuring ingredients by the cup, we have the most comprehensive
weight to cups conversion table on the net - both solid ingredients and liquids
- so now you can easily convert our recipes to suit your preference.
to go to the chart.
If you've arrived at this page via a search engine, do take a few minutes to
look around the site. We're convinced you'll find lots more excellent recipes
and in depth culinary information covering a wide range of food related topics.