Tostones Veg HT HD
ACC Venezuelan 30mins
Serves 4 Hot Vegetarian Vegetable Hors
d’ouevre Appetiser Starter Accompaniment Gluten Wheat Dairy free Eggless
Venezuela Sth America South American
2 GREEN (unripe) Plantains
Oil for deep frying
1. Heat the oil in a deep fat fryer to 180C/350F.
2. Slice the plantain very thinly, then fry in the hot oil until golden brown.
3. Remove from the oil, and when cool enough to handle, sprinkle with salt and
flatten each slice with a mallet until very thin.
4. Reheat the oil until very hot then fry the flattened plantain slices until
crisp and golden on both sides. Drain on absorbent paper.
These can be served hot or at room temperature with a dipping sauce or salsa as
an appetiser or plain as an accompaniment to a main course.
N.B This recipes
will not work with ripe plantains. Get then as unripe as possible.
Hors d'oeuvre Recipes | What's
in Season |
Overseas Visitors: If you're
more used to measuring ingredients by the cup, we have the most comprehensive
weight to cups conversion table on the net - both solid ingredients and liquids
- so now you can easily convert our recipes to suit your preference.
to go to the chart.
If you've arrived at this page via a search engine, do take a few minutes to
look around the site. We're convinced you'll find lots more excellent recipes
and in depth culinary information covering a wide range of food related topics.